Youth In Policing Initiative (YIPI)
On February 14, 2006, the Ministry of Children and Youth Services (MCYS) announced that the Ontario Government would be funding various youth opportunity initiatives, as part of the government's new strategy to address the growing needs of our youth. Part of that strategy, was and is a partnership with the Toronto Police Services Board, the Toronto Police Service, and the Ministry of Children and Youth Services to hire 150 youth for the summer.
In 2012, the Youth in Policing Initiative Afterschool program was created in recognition of the importance of providing support and employment opportunities for young people all year round.
|Youth In Policing Program||Accepting Applications||Employment Period||Description|
|Fall||April||September to December||Part-time 6 hours per week, additional 7 hours of training on Saturday per month|
|Summer||January - early February||July and August||Full-time 35 hours per week|
|Winter/Spring||October||February to June||Part-time 6 hours per week, additional 7 hours of training on Saturday per month|
This employment initiative focuses on diverse youth between the ages of 15 and 18 years, who reside in our priority identified neighbourhoods within the City of Toronto.
The aim of the Youth in Policing Initiative is to promote youth participation in and exposure to the work environment through diverse, educational, and productive work assignments.
This program also enhances the link between the police and the neighbourhoods we serve. This initiative gives young people an opportunity to develop job skills while fostering positive partnerships with the Toronto Police Service.
The mandate of the Youth in Policing Initiative is:
- To promote youth participation in and exposure to the work environment through diverse, educational and productive work assignments;
- To enhance the link between the police and the neighbourhoods we serve by selecting youth reflecting our culturally diverse city;
- To provide a safe and positive employment opportunity; and
- To promote the Toronto Police Service as an employer of choice.
In order to be eligible for the program, youth:
- Must be a student between the ages of 15 and 18 years;
- Must not have any criminal charges pending before the court;
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada;
- Must be attending school; and
- Must not have previously participated in any YIPI program
Additionally, youth must be permanent residents of one of the following neighbourhoods:
3. Thistletown-Beaumond Heights
5. Elms-Old Rexdale
6. Kingsview Village-The Westway
21. Humber Summit
24. Black Creek
25. Glenfield-Jane Heights
27. York University Heights
43. Victoria Village
44. Flemingdon Park
55. Thorncliffe Park
61. Crescent Town
72. Regent Park
91. Weston-Pellam Park
110. Keelesdale-Eglinton West
115. Mount Dennis
124. Kennedy Park
136. West Hill
138. Eglinton East
139. Scarborough Village
Below is a map corresponding to the numbers and neighbourhoods listed above. For more information regarding the specific neighbourhoods please visit the Neighbourhood Improvement Area Profiles.
For more information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 416-808-7293 and 416-808-7108.