Victim Services Volunteers
What is the Victim Services Toronto Volunteer Program?
Victim Services Toronto is a community based registered charity providing immediate crisis response, intervention and prevention services which are responsive to the needs of individuals, families and communities affected by crime and sudden tragedies. Victim Services Toronto volunteers are valued members of our team and are critical to the ongoing success of the agency. Volunteers are actively recruited, trained and engaged on a semi-annual basis to support all aspects of agency programming, service delivery, and operations.
What are the duties of a Victim Services Toronto Volunteer?
Volunteers are an integral part of our team and work alongside our professional crisis counsellors to provide crisis intervention, support and referrals/linkages to community resources to individuals who have been affected by crime and sudden tragedies. Volunteers will assist in addressing the emotional, practical, psychological and immediate safety needs of victims and follow through to ensure those needs are met. As well, volunteers have the opportunity to assist with community events and fundraising initiatives.
The BASIC REQUIREMENTS for the position are as follows
1. Must be at least 19 years of age
2. Never been charged and/or convicted of a criminal offence for which a pardon has not been granted
3. Able to attend mandatory training (33 hours in-class, 12-16 hours in-office)
4. Able to complete a minimum of 2 shifts (3 or 4 hours in length) per month
5. Able to make a one year commitment (excluding the training time)
Volunteer Selection & Training Process
1. Submission of an online application form
2. Pre-Screening communication by email
3. Orientation/Information Session (by invitation only)
4. Face-to-Face interview
5. Completion of a Vulnerable Sector Police Check
6. Completion of reference checks (2 employment and 2 character references)
7. Completion of 11 in-class training sessions (33 hours- 3 hours per week for 11 weeks)
8. Completion of 4 mentoring shifts (12-16 hours based on your availability)
Volunteer OpportunitiesVolunteers are recruited semi-annually, once in the spring and once in the fall. Volunteer applications can be submitted online at any time.
- Application deadline for the spring recruitment session: February 1 (training commences in April)
- Application deadline for the fall recruitment session: July 1 (training commences in September)