Man arrested in a retail robbery series investigation,
Mark Hewitt, 53, charged,
One man remains outstanding
Broadcast time: 14:00
Date: Friday, April 23, 2021
Unit: Hold Up
Case #: 2021-159403
The Toronto Police Service Hold Up Squad would like to make the public aware of an arrest made in a series of retail robberies.
Between Sunday, January 24, 2021 and Tuesday, January 26, 2021, three retail robberies were committed in the Toronto and York Region area.
It is alleged that:
- in each incident two men entered the store and approached the checkout counter
- one man pulled out a handgun and pointed it at the employee
- the other man went behind the counter and took cash and lottery tickets
- both men then fled the area in a car
Members of the Toronto Police Hold Up Squad began an investigation with the assistance of the York Regional Police Hold Up Unit and were able to identify one man.
On Thursday, April 22, 2021, Mark Hewitt, 53, of no fixed address, was arrested and charged with:
1. three counts Robbery with a Firearm
2. three counts of Disguise with Intent
3. Possession of Firearm Contrary to Prohibition Order
He was scheduled to appear in court at Toronto East Court, 1911 Eglinton Avenue East, on Friday, April 23, 2021, 10 a.m., room 412.
One man remains unidentified. He is described as approximately 5'9", white, with a medium build.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-7350, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, online on our Facebook Leave a Tip page, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637). Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes or Google Play.
For more news, visit TPSnews.ca.
Constable Caroline de Kloet, Corporate Communications, for Acting Inspector Shawn Getty, Hold Up