Man charged with possession of firearm,
Syrus Smith, 20, facing four charges
Broadcast time: 17:00
Date: Tuesday, May 25, 2021
Unit: 52 Division
Case #: 2021-944773
The Toronto Police Service would like to make the public aware of an arrest in a firearm investigation.
On Friday, May 21, 2021, at approximately 9 p.m., officers from 52 Division's Major Crime Unit were in the Front Street West and John Street area.
It is alleged that:
- a man was observed in possession of a loaded firearm in the front of his waistband
- after a brief struggle with police, the man was arrested.
Syrus Smith, 20, of Toronto, was charged with:
1. Possession of a Prohibited or Restricted Firearm with Ammunition
2. Carrying Concealed Weapon
3. Possession of Firearm knowing its Possession is Unauthorized
4. Possession of a Firearm, Prohibited or Restricted Weapon Obtained by Crime
He appeared virtually at Old City Hall, on Saturday, May 22, 2021, at 10 a.m., in room 112.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-5200, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, online on our Facebook Leave a Tip page, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637). Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes or Google Play.
For more news, visit TPSnews.ca.
Constable Caroline de Kloet, Corporate Communications, for Detective Constable Ryan D’Souza, 52 Division Major Crime Unit