Man Arrested in Poisoning Investigation,
Francis Ngugi, 45,
Now Homicide #32/2021
Broadcast time: 16:00
Date: Wednesday, June 30, 2021
Unit: 41 Division
Case #: 2021-424868
The Toronto Police Service would like to provide the public with an update on a poisoning investigation.
On Sunday, March 7, 2021, police and the Ontario Coroner’s Office started an investigation into the death of a three-year-old child.
It is alleged that:
- a man accessed a controlled substance from his place of employment
- the controlled substance was placed into a children’s breakfast cereal
- two children ate the breakfast cereal during a sleepover
- both children required hospitalization
- one of the children died in hospital
- the other child recovered after a lengthy hospital stay
See previous release.
Homicide investigators have taken over this investigation and, on Wednesday, June 30, 2021, Francis Ngugi, 45, of Toronto, had his charges upgraded to:
1. First Degree Murder
2. Attempt Murder
He is scheduled to appear in court, virtually at 1911 Eglinton Avenue East, on Friday, July 30, 2021, at 9 a.m., in room 407.
For more news, visit TPSnews.ca.
Constable Caroline de Kloet, Corporate Communications, for Detective Sergeant Rob Choe, Homicide