Two officers injured in firearms arrest,
Lawrence Avenue East and Scarborough Golf Club Road area,
Image of seized firearm released
Broadcast time: 09:45
Date: Thursday, July 1, 2021
Unit: Integrated Gun & Gang Task Force
Case #: 2021-1220709
A man has been arrested and charged with firearm and drug offences by the Service's Gun and Gang Task Force.
On Tuesday, June 29, 2021, at 11:46 p.m., Gun and Gang officers were in the Lawrence Avenue East and Scarborough Golf Club Road area preparing to execute a search warrant.
It is alleged that:
- officers saw the suspect entering the building
- the officers attempted to arrest him
- the man struck the officers with a glass bottle
- a struggle ensued
- he was taken into custody and a 9mm semi-automatic loaded firearm was found on him
- two officers were taken to hospital where they were treated for non-life threatening injuries
Kadah Dematas, 22, of Toronto, is charged with:
1) two counts of Assault Peace Officer with a Weapon
2) two counts of Assault Peace Officer Causing Bodily Harm
3) Possession of a Firearm Knowing its Possession is Unauthorized
4) Possession of a Loaded Firearm
5) Possession of Weapon Dangerous to the Public
6) Possession of a Firearm Contrary to Prohibition
7) four counts of Possess Schedule 1 Substance for the Purpose of Trafficking
He appeared in court at Old City Hall on Wednesday, June 30, 2021, at 10 a.m., in room 114 via video link.
For more news, visit TPSnews.ca.
Constable David Hopkinson, Corporate Communications, for Detective Sergeant Michelle Olszevski, Gun and Gang Task Force