Identity Fraud/Personation Unit
The Identity Fraud/Personation Unit investigates approximately 200 cases per year that arise from Highway Traffic Act and Compulsory Automobile Insurance Act Part I and Part III prosecutions. These investigations are very labor intensive and require liaison with several municipal and provincial agencies for each investigation.
If you have been convicted of an offence under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Compulsory Automobile Insurance Act (CAIA) for a ticket(s) issued by a Toronto Police Officer and your name was fraudulently used, you must:
- Attend the court location where the ticket is filed;
- Obtain an ICON PRINTOUT of the ticket(s) AND a COPY OF THE TICKET(S) from the court;
- Swear to a ”GENERAL AFFIDAVIT” before a Justice of the Peace at the court, outlining your claim of identity fraud *;
- AFTER you have obtained this information from the court, call an investigator at the following number to file your identity fraud report **
Toronto Police Service
For claims of identity fraud involving tickets issued by Toronto Police for By-Law, Liquor Licence Act, Trespass to Property Act, Pedestrian or Bicycle Offences, contact the officer or agency who issued the ticket(s) or their fraud unit.
For claims of identity fraud involving tickets issued by Go Transit, Toronto By-Law Enforcement Officers or Officers from other Police Services, contact the officer or agency who issued the ticket(s).
Improperly registered vehicles should be reported to your nearest Police Division.
* It is a criminal offence to swear to an affidavit when you knowingly provide false information within that affidavit.
** It is a criminal offence to cause a peace officer to enter into an investigation when you knowingly provide false information which causes an investigation to occur.